Friday, July 4, 2014
It has been a long while--over a year--since my last post. Much has happened; I graduated, participated in the Senior Show, had a couple of solo shows, participated in some group shows, made new work (of course), and now I am doing a residency at Weir Farm. It is time to write, post, photograph, research, etc.
Monday, June 16, 2014
Sunday, March 10, 2013
First, a few of my latest inspirations:
Nature, full circle:
I put some old prints outside before the big blizzard to see what would happen--
A few months ago I sealed an aloe plant in a plexi box. I am still documenting it through photogarphs and writing on the box.... I displayed it on top of photographs of the dried aloe and the "boxed" aloe:
Prepared paper with collage for two 30' long (approximately) scrolls; one is 19" wide and the other 9". For the wider scroll I used more of the photographic imagery, and the narrow scroll I only used text.
I did a few layers of cyanotype printing. A lot of the imagery became obscured and I then collaged clearer cut prints into it. On the wider scroll I collaged actual plant materials and overlaid it in parts with thin paper. My work now incorporates many layers of collaged plant imagery-- digital, "photographic", and physical.
Below are image of the in-progress scrolls as I prepared them for a crit. I experimented with ways of displaying scrolls:
Closer shots of the in-progress project:
Working out composition/different lengths before I did more collage (super long scroll not working):
Layering the negatives creates difficult to read prints. The response from viewers are mixed; some get drawn in and some "pushed out". As my response, I decided to step back and create direct clear prints of the imagery. These prints, which I connected into scrolls, became a record of the imagery and a code for others to read my more obscure work. By manipulating the photographs in Photoshop, they became letters of a personal language. Trying to squeeze the images into the shape of the transparencies, they also began to reference botanical illustrations. I made about 30-40 new negatives which were variations on each other. Below are the almost-finished scrolls:
Sunday, February 3, 2013
In my search for improved imagery, I photographed nature (both inside and outside) and rephotographed my dead aloe plant. There is a strange beauty to the aloe forms, and I printed them as 4X6 photographs. I intend to display them. Here are a few of the 100+ images I took: